History and Exterior Features
The schoolhouse was built in 1880 where it sat a short distance west of Swansboro passed the Swansboro Middle School . Faceing highway #24. Highway #24 was a dirt cart path back then. Morton's Academy was consolidated with the Swansboro Graded School around 1926 and latter with the Swansboro high School (1930).The Morton's Academy School building was moved to its present location, 735 main street ext. in Swansboro, in March 1996, and the restoration begain. The building is the original 1880 sturture; except for the repairs that the building needed during restoration. The roof originaly was wooden shingles. Ten replaced the wooden shingles in latter years. After the closing of the school around 1926 for consolidation, the building was remodeled and used as a home. It sat vacant during the early 1990's until it was moved and restored as it once was in the 1880's through the 1920's. In the school yeard, you will see the Flag Pole, the Hand Pump for water. The Out House ( Tolet ) are to be built .